How to activate Airtel GPRS for Sony Ericsson Mobile Handset

Internet is bread & butter for any IT professional, hence I thought of enabling GPRS before leaving Bangalore city. Now I have the internet access in my laptop which is shared via bluetooth from my Sony Ericsson handset. I had faced some issues while configuring the internet & GPRS, hence I thought of sharing my experience (through my airtel GPRS connection)
Call 121 from your post paid Airtel phone and select the option for GPRS and talk to the customer service executive.
You have to send an SMS to activate the GPRS. Customer service team will assist you. I have selected 140 Rs (weekly unlimted) plan.
Airtel will send the settings required for your handset and you have to accept the settings. I couldnt receive the settings from Airtel, still I am not sure the issue. My Sony Ericson handset was not able to receive the settings sent by Airtel.
If you are able to receive the settings, you are lucky and ready to go. Otherwise do the following configuration in your sony ericson mobile handset.
Goto Menu ->Serttings->Connectivity->Internet Settings->Internet Profiles->New Profile
Name: MobileOffice, Connect Using->New Account-> GPRS, APN: airtelgprs.com, UserName: , Password:
Goto Menu ->Internet Service -> Search ->Press Ok for User Name and Password. If you are getting google search page, you are connection is working fine and ready to use from your laptop.
For connection sharing you can use USB, Bluetooth or infrared. I am using bluetooth now. To share the connection using bluetooth, you have t0 enable the bluetooth.
Goto Menu->Settings->Connectivity->Bluetooth->Turn On
Now swith on you laptop and enable the bluetooth. You can search for the nearby bluetooth devices (Control Panel -> Bluetooth configuration). You will find your mobile phone under bluetooth list.
Now add the network connection (Control Panel -> Network connection -> Create a new connection -> Connect to internet -> Setup Manually -> Connect using dial-up ->ISP Name (Airtel) -> Phone number (*99***1# Or *99***2#) -> User Name and Password
Enjoy your browsing!! Similar settings can be configured other mobiles like Nokia, LG , Motorola, Samsung etc.

0 comments: